PDA

View Full Version : No Yoder's Bacon at Emerg Essentials...

Noahs ARK
12-31-2010, 02:17 PM
I got their catalog this morning and noticed they didn't have their usual ad for Yoder's Bacon, so I called them.

It's not available because the manufacturer can't keep up with the sudden demand. They weren't able to meet last month's orders.

They're "hoping" to be able to get the bacon in the future, but there are no guarantees.

4evermama
01-01-2011, 04:27 AM
You know good and well, what the alternative is to this travesty.:wink5:

Baconator
01-01-2011, 07:31 AM
FYI, MREDepot still has it. I just ordered a case.

Toni
01-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Soylent Green?

Noahs ARK
01-01-2011, 07:36 PM

:shocked:

I think I'll find my way over to MREDepot with Baconator. :patriot:

4evermama
01-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Soylent Green?
:puke:
No, you silly...
Home canned bacon.

Toni
01-01-2011, 07:45 PM
No, you silly...
Home canned bacon.

Oh. Now, THAT sounds really, really good.

BackBlast
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Has anyone even tried this stuff? The reports surrounding yoder canned goods I've heard are not so good.

Noahs ARK
01-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Has anyone even tried this stuff? The reports surrounding yoder canned goods I've heard are not so good.

Yoder's bacon is delicious. Pre-cooked, so all we have to do is throw it in the pan or microwave for a few minutes. Definitely something I want on hand if TSHTF.

4evermama
01-03-2011, 03:14 AM
Blah...Blah...Blah...;)

Toni
01-03-2011, 11:53 PM

I've never heard of the stuff before this thread and I used to get Emergency Essentials catalogs! :eek: (To be honest, I usually looked only at their dried fruit/veggies and their grains, as far as food goes.)

Noahs ARK
01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Blah...Blah...Blah...;)

Seriously - how does a person can their own bacon properly? I'd really like to know how to do this since our Food Lion has some excellent bacon sales at times. Keep in mind that I'd prefer to NOT poison my family. :l0 (44):

Can I can the thick-sliced bacon?

Details, woman!! :D

4evermama
01-04-2011, 04:15 PM
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gay127.html

This is a recent article with pix.

Keep in mind that most people get worked up if they can't get a recipe in print from an extension office. I'm not most people. I am careful with time and pressure and have never had any problems.

Roll seperated, raw bacon in layers of parchment. Can at 11 lbs for 90 min.
The beauty of it is that you can use whatever bacon you prefer.
Thick turns our better as is doesn't fall apart after opening the jar.
My kids like maple bacon. Canning works great as a means of customizing your preferences.
Plus it's sooooo much cheaper.

We also can sausage for breakfasts and pizzas.

The main thing with meat, is that you really have to be sure to wipe the rim clean of any fat.

Now with that said, it takes time and energy. So if those are in short supply and money isn't an issue, Yoder's rocks! It tastes good and has a decent shelf life.

Moral of the story: We consider essentials to be wheat, beans, rice, honey, salt, milk, chocolate and meat...especially, bacon. :l0 (58):
"Come to the dark side, and together we will rule this galaxy..."

Noahs ARK
01-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm home all the time, so it's something I could probably fit into my schedule. I'd just make it an all-day project and hubby can help.

OK - so you roll it in parchment paper, just like Yoder's does. That gives me the visual I need.

Now all I need is a canner. :l0 (50):

Seriously...thanks for the info. Food Lion has sales on huge 10-lb slabs of thick sliced bacon. Buy 1/Get 1.

I'm assuming I'd be using wide mouth quart jars?

4evermama
01-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Wide mouth for sure. I use both quart and pint depending on how many people we need to feed.

Does anyone in your ward or stake have a canner that you could borrow? I've loaned mine out before and was more than happy to do so. Maybe your RS Pres would know.
The cheapest ones that I've seen were the Presto's at around $70.

Noahs ARK
01-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I really want to buy a canner. Last year our cherry trees produced a ton and I'm hoping this year I'll have just as many, if not more.

We have blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, apricots, peaches, pear & grapes. They're all starting to produce at a level where we can't just pick & eat - I need to start canning them. I have enough jam & jellies for an army, so no more of that for awhile.

My mom, aunts & grandma all canned - I just need to get back in the swing of it.

We also have a new Farmer's Market just 1/2 mile from us. His fruit and veggies are outstanding and cheap. This summer I was starting to get the canning, dehydrating & juicing bug after seeing all his produce.

Tx again.

threepercent
01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
http://www.allamericancanner.com/

go this route.

phylm
01-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Seriously - how does a person can their own bacon properly? I'd really like to know how to do this since our Food Lion has some excellent bacon sales at times. Keep in mind that I'd prefer to NOT poison my family. :l0 (44):

Can I can the thick-sliced bacon?

Details, woman!! :D

Just type "canning bacon" in your "Search" line, and there are a lot of sites that tell how to do it. Good luck! Phylm

phylm
01-06-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm budgeting to get one of the gasket-less canners now on the market. They claim to have an automatic over-pressure release on them. If I didn't have to be tied right to the stove while canning, that would be super.

Emergency Essentials has two sizes that are about the same prices as most of the other sites I've visited. I like their shipping costs, too.

4evermama
01-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Yep, the All-American is on my with list as well. No gaskets....suuuhhhweeeet!

Noahs ARK
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I was looking at those and then saw this....Note: Not suitable for glass/flat top ranges

I wondered if I could use one on my stove. Now I know I can't.

Back to Yoders, I guess. :hat:

arbilad
01-06-2011, 04:43 PM
You can get canners that work with glass/flat top stoves. They just are made to fit the area of the burner on your stove. The issue with glass top stoves, as I understand it, is that you don't want to heat the area outside the burner, which a large canner that sits on the area outside the burner will do.

threepercent
01-06-2011, 04:55 PM
dont get a canner suitable for a stove that is not suitable to be called a stove. get a canner you can use over a dang fire if you need to. purchase the canner and a PROPANE DEEP FAT TURKEY FRYER. then you have a stovetop that you can use to can on, outside when its hot and canning season and you dont heat up your house, one that works AFTER TSHTF, and you can also use the large deep fat turkey fryer to heat enough water to do the big jobs you will need to when there is no electricity or running water.

Toni
01-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Flat/glass top stoves, need pans that are flat. A lot of them are rounded and the heat doesn't get to them as well on a flat top.

mirkwood
01-07-2011, 12:07 AM
I'd like some Yoder's, but I won't pay the prices they want. I'm hoping to find a good sale price someday.

Noahs ARK
01-18-2011, 03:51 PM
FYI, MREDepot still has it. I just ordered a case.

I ordered 2 cases of bacon and some of the hot dogs (hubby loves those).

This is the notice I just got from them...

NOTE that if you order contains Yoder's Meats, due to unusually high demand, some of the meats are shipping directly from our plant in Ohio, so they will be in a different package and may arrive a couple of days before or a couple of days later than the rest of your items depending on where you live.

Well...at least they're coming directly from the plant and aren't on backorder. Yay!

Baconator
01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
It'll still take them about two weeks to ship from Ohio.
At least, that's my experience.

Baconator
01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Oh, FYI. If you use the coupon code 'calguns' at MREDepot, it's 21% off your entire order.

arbilad
01-19-2011, 10:56 PM
I use a different coupon code there for the same discount.