PDA

View Full Version : What's your March prep goal? ...

Noahs ARK
02-26-2011, 03:18 PM
1. Yogurt bites from Shelf-Reliance. I love the Pantry cans - they're the perfect size for just the 2 of us for something like this.

2. Placed an order with my Farmer's Market today for 1 case of corn relish & 1 case of 3-bean salad. Pint jars. When I buy a case, I save $12.

3. My cabinets are looking a bit bare. I used up a lot of my canned veggies, fruits, beans, soups, etc. this winter. Need to watch for good sales & print coupons.

4. Seeds!! Whether I have a garden this year or not, I'm getting a good supply of seeds. I still have some of the small Space Savers - I'll vacuum seal them up.

5. Carpet sweeper! The kind my grandma had...no electricity required.

Water, water & more water stored in empty plastic kitty litter containers.

Continue to work on that darn crawlspace, which has become a bigger project than I'd thought it would be.

My goals for this month are a tad high, but I'm hoping to get it all accomplished before Spring hits full force & I'm outside.

JuneGem
02-26-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm getting ready to start seeds for planting a garden. First time in years. Couple types of tomatoes, 3 types of peppers, lettuce, onions, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, corn. Will be putting in some herbs, too, but probably just some basil and oregano.

Will be keeping an eye on sales on canned goods. Also, just got the email from MREDepot with their coupon code: "CANNEDSOUP during checkout for an additional 15% discount on each and every regular stock item on our website http://www.mredepot.com/ (http://webmail2.centurytel.net/hwebmail/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mredepot.com%2F)." It expires midnight Monday, February 28th. I'll be checking that out to see what we can add to the "pantry."

Also need to add to our paper goods supply (toilet paper, paper towels and tissues).

signseeker
02-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Holy cow - March! :svengo:

I gotta' think. I still have two days of February! :sneaky2:

Earthling
02-26-2011, 07:19 PM
hmmm - I usually do better than my goals by taking opportunities that come my way. February turned out great. Might be too broke from February to do much in March besides plant seeds indoors OH and pick up the new freezer & beef I ordered. :l0 (6):

Noahs ARK
02-26-2011, 09:32 PM
OH and pick up the new freezer & beef I ordered. :l0 (6):

Ooooooh - I'm jealous! New freezer AND beef? :willy_nilly:

JuneGem
02-26-2011, 10:03 PM
That's fantastic Earthling! We bought a chest freezer in January, as we needed to accommodate a goodly amount of venison. Found out yesterday that a friend of our's has an excess amount of venison and asked if we want some more. Absolutely!

Another friend ended up with 6 pallets of lidded buckets that someone gave him. Couldn't help myself, and I asked for some (hey, it never hurts to ask). My husband brought home 4 of them and they are terrific, so I've tasked him with getting another 8 or 12 of them. They originally each held 35 pounds of cherries. Guessing around 3 gallons each. They are square, rather than round, which I think will be great. Will have to get a lid remover, though. Needless to say, I am thrilled!

Noahs ARK
02-26-2011, 11:10 PM
They are square, rather than round, which I think will be great. Will have to get a lid remover, though. Needless to say, I am thrilled!

Wow - what a great deal! I've been thinking of buying some 5-gallon buckets and it can get pricey when you need a lot of them.

Yay for your free buckets!!

prairiemom
02-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah, March is where I see a brand new pace in preparedness--mostly gardening prep. Sometime in the next week or two I have 6 turkeys I'll need to can. Maybe 5. And 6 gal of apple juice. Our neighbor has been letting us use her freezer and we had turkey's and frozen apple juice. But electrical problems forced her to shut the freezer off. So I have them all stored on the porch right now. As soon as they thaw I'll have a lot of canning to do. Right now our temps are all in the single digits and below zero, but in a week or so we will have 20's and 30's and it will be time to can.

Congrats on the freezer and beef, Earthling!

JuneGem
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
We've pondered it for over a month, but finally decided to buy a case of Yoder's Bacon. We really don't eat that much bacon, but it definitely has it's uses, so we decided to go ahead and use the coupon code that expires this evening.

GAMom
02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks for posting the coupon code for the MRE Depot. I just ordered some butter & ghee. It's the 1st time I've tried it - but after thinking about it - I decided to try it. The shelf life sounds great. Guess that starts off my March preping!

4evermama
02-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I found another site for MRE's. We've placed two orders so far and both times, the food was at my door within 4 days. FAST!

We ordered the taco filling poly trays for a Scout trip and the boys loved it.

Pricing is reasonable when considering that shipping is free.

http://www.longlifefood.com/Side-Dishes/products/1026/

Noahs ARK
02-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Pricing is reasonable when considering that shipping is free.

http://www.longlifefood.com/Side-Dishes/products/1026/

Pricing is VERY reasonable and the 4-pk case is a super deal.

Tx!!

4evermama
02-28-2011, 10:48 PM
March goals:

Start seeds.
Organize.
Purchase game tags.
Learn more about antibiotics.

And oh yeah, can more Bacon.:lol:

Noahs ARK
02-28-2011, 11:57 PM
And oh yeah, can more Bacon.:lol:

:auto: Heading to your house with my wide-mouth jars, parchment paper & bacon.

4evermama
03-01-2011, 01:24 AM
Bring it on!:thumbup1:

That's it!

Transcontinental Canning Sessions!

Noahs ARK
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
1. Yogurt bites from Shelf-Reliance. Ordered

2. 1 case of corn relish & 1 case of 3-bean salad. Received

5. Carpet sweeper! The kind my grandma had...no electricity required. Ordered

WooHoo ~ the month is starting out good. My Farmer's Market just got pint jars of pickled red cabbage in stock. Picked up 1 case.

phylm
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Picked up 3 more gas and kerosene cans...now to mortgage the dog to afford to fill them! Gasoline was $3.60 a gallon in Florida tonight.

Have to finish my heritage seed, fruit and nut trees and small fruit orders tomorrow (we set out two fruit trees last week), then an order to EE for more shortening and cheese blend powder. Still pining for the BIG gasketless canner. Maybe next month.

Oh, yes! A ward brother brought his tractor and tilled the first phase (30' X 70') of our garden this week, which my husband had covered with cow manure. When he went to have the staples taken out last week, he badgered his surgeon to tell him that he could lift 25 pounds, so he went and got another load of free manure! The doc had told him he wouldn't be able to lift ANYTHING for a month originally. We celebrate his 81st birthday on St. Patty's day. Whatta guy!

Noahs ARK
03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
4. Seeds!! Whether I have a garden this year or not, I'm getting a good supply of seeds. I still have some of the small Space Savers - I'll vacuum seal them up.

Yippee - I ordered my seeds today. I kinda got carried away, so that may end up being my April & May prep goals.

Whoops! :001_rolleyes:

Noahs ARK
03-03-2011, 05:30 PM
We celebrate his 81st birthday on St. Patty's day. Whatta guy!

I'd say you're both pretty special - what an inspiration you are to me.

Glad to hear he's doing better.

prairiemom
03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Dh ordered the All American Pressure canner model #921 for me. (I already have model 915) It will handle 19 pts at a time. It came today--yeah!

Noahs ARK
03-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Dh ordered the All American Pressure canner model #921 for me. (I already have model 915) It will handle 19 pts at a time. It came today--yeah!

Sweeeet! :hurray:

Earthling
03-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Congrats PrairieMom!!

Noahs ARK
03-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Stocked up on my Cocoa Powder yesterday. Took advantage of the sale.

Another thing I learned during our little bout with the stomach flu....stock up on Imodium AD. Done! (Not on sale, but I'm not taking any chances of being without it. :l0 (61):)

phylm
03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Stocked up on my Cocoa Powder yesterday. Took advantage of the sale.

Another thing I learned during our little bout with the stomach flu....stock up on Imodium AD. Done! (Not on sale, but I'm not taking any chances of being without it. :l0 (61):)

I just had my recommend interview with our stake leader, and, in answer to the Word of Wisdom question, I told him I have a stash of black tea in my storage medicine section, that it usually stops dysentery in a matter of a couple of doses. I figure it is easier to use than to use than preparing the inner bark of oak. (I did say I don't put cream and sugar in it so that I enjoy it!)

Noahs ARK
03-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I told him I have a stash of black tea in my storage medicine section, that it usually stops dysentery in a matter of a couple of doses.!)

I didn't know that about black tea - will put that on my list. What's the diff between black tea & Lipton tea that my hubby uses for sweet tea?

signseeker
03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
What's the diff between black tea & Lipton tea that my hubby uses for sweet tea?

Uh... the Celestial kingdom and the Terrestrial kingdom. :lol (2):

Noahs ARK
03-06-2011, 09:39 PM

:l0 (62): Good point, except he's not a member.

I remember when I was a youngster & had strep throat. The doc told my mom to give me hot tea to ease the pain. Big Whoop-Di-Do over that one, let me tell ya!

Noahs ARK
03-07-2011, 02:05 PM

I'm still laughing about this response of yours, sign. Too funny! :l0 (54):

phylm
03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I didn't know that about black tea - will put that on my list. What's the diff between black tea & Lipton tea that my hubby uses for sweet tea?

Usually black. It tells on the label.

phylm
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM

The stake counselor signed my temple recommend. Take it up with him. It is a lot cheaper, and just as effective as the more pricey OTC meds. :smilewinkgrin:

Noahs ARK
03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
The stake counselor signed my temple recommend. Take it up with him. It is a lot cheaper, and just as effective as the more pricey OTC meds. :smilewinkgrin:

Do you know I paid $8.99 for a small bottle of ImodiumAD?? Between the 2 of us that bottle lasted 2-1/2 days. :eek6:

I'm going for the black tea!!

phylm
03-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Do you know I paid $8.99 for a small bottle of ImodiumAD?? Between the 2 of us that bottle lasted 2-1/2 days. :eek6:

I'm going for the black tea!!

High five, Girl!! :l0 (51):

Noahs ARK
03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
High five, Girl!! :l0 (51):

Picked up 2 huge boxes of black tea today.

Rite-Aid had chewable Vitamin C on sale - Buy 1/Get 1, so I stocked up on that.

Added 6 gallons of distilled water to my stash.

Noahs ARK
03-10-2011, 02:49 PM
1. Yogurt bites from Shelf-Reliance. I love the Pantry cans - they're the perfect size for just the 2 of us for something like this.

I received my Yogurt Bites yesterday. OMGosh - they are so good!

We tested out the blueberry bites. The texture is like that sea-foam candy, if any of you remember that. They melt in your mouth.

Later tonight I'm going to rehydrate them and see how I like the texture. Wonder if it'll be like real yogurt. Tomorrow I'm making a smoothie.

My ONLY regret is that I bought the Pantry Can, which is a #2.5 size. Wish I'd ordered the #10 cans cuz we're seriously addicted to it already.

Earthling
03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
My goal is to find chocolate on sale . . . M&Ms would be nice.

Noahs ARK
03-10-2011, 09:59 PM

You may want to find a place that sells them in 25-lb bulk boxes. That's what I did with my Hershey's kisses & assorted mini bars.

I had to....I just HAD to, I tell ya! :redface (2):

Noahs ARK
03-13-2011, 06:09 PM

Bulk mini M&M's....

The price!! :nonod:

Noahs ARK
03-19-2011, 08:51 PM
5. Carpet sweeper! The kind my grandma had...no electricity required.

Yippee - my carpet sweeper arrived today! It works just like I remember them working.

**Happy Dance**

Got one of my upstairs closets cleaned out & organized today. Time to donate more stuff (games & puzzles) to Good Will.

Earthling
03-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Noah's Ark - be careful about getting rid of games & puzzles. Most of us are storing them as something to entertain everyone with when TEOTWAWKI happens so people don't go stir crazy. I advise getting rid of the junky stuff, puzzles missing pieces, etc but have a good supply of games & puzzles & toys.

Noahs ARK
03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
I advise getting rid of the junky stuff, puzzles missing pieces, etc but have a good supply of games & puzzles & toys.

Never fear - I've kept all the "good" games & puzzles. I've even kept all the kids games like Candyland, Clue, Uno, Old Maid...:l0 (8):

I got rid of the games that we never liked and the puzzles that have those huge pieces.

We've added crossword puzzle & word search books to our bookshelves. Lots of pencils & pens, too.

Earthling
03-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I should have known - you have got to be the most prepared person I know!

Noahs ARK
03-20-2011, 07:40 PM
I should have known - you have got to be the most prepared person I know!

Thank you, but....:l0 (63):

The reason I'm getting rid of "junk" is to make room for more important things we need. Seems like my list gets longer all the time.

An option would be a garage, but hey! ... can't have everything!! :glare:

Earthling
03-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Well I have a 3 car garage and it keeps getting filled up with "stuff" - important stuff of course. Right now it holds one car - if I am lucky I will get another in when the current project finishes. :l0 (50): So even if you get a garage - it too will fill and you will want more room!

Baconator
03-21-2011, 06:04 PM
My March goal is to pay down debts I've incurred recently. I'll work on 'stuff' again next month.

Noahs ARK
03-21-2011, 06:48 PM
My March goal is to pay down debts I've incurred recently. I'll work on 'stuff' again next month.

I do believe that's what I'll be doing next month, Baconator. I've spent way too much money this month.

mirkwood
03-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Work on cardio and some physical conditioning in preparation for SWAT tryouts in May.

Earthling
03-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Mirk - how's the diet going?

mirkwood
03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
I started at 202.1 lbs. I am now at 182.7 lbs. Today was the last day of the drops. 3 more days without drops and then maintainence phase starts Saturday. I will celebrate with a breakfast of oatmeal/raisins and a couple of eggs, sunnyside up!

JuneGem
03-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Besides general bulking up, we received a case of Yoders bacon about a week ago and just received a half case (12 cans) of cheddar cheese from MREDepot. Really glad to have those additions!

Noahs ARK
03-24-2011, 07:51 PM
I just got my case of cheddar cheese from MREDepot, too! My Yoder's bacon is on the way.

Noahs ARK
03-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Stopped at the Dollar Store to buy a few things, mostly gallons of distilled water.

Got 6 gallons of water, 1 gallon of white vinegar & 2 gallons of bleach.

Noahs ARK
03-26-2011, 12:42 PM
3. My cabinets are looking a bit bare. I used up a lot of my canned veggies, fruits, beans, soups, etc. this winter. Need to watch for good sales & print coupons.

My cabinets are still bare - will try to do a shopping marathon on Monday, if possible.

Burpee swears they didn't get my seed order. How is that possible? :shocked:

March is going by too fast!!