PDA

View Full Version : Preserving Eggs for the Long Haul...

Noahs ARK
03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/03/05/preserving-eggs-for-the-long-term/

If you have been watching National Geographic’s Doomsday Prepper series, you’ve probably seen a few ideas that you wanted to try to implement in your own storage preparations. At least a show or two got you wondering about the feasibility of some of the stuff these preppers are doing. One thing that piqued my interest was from the episode that showed the woman oiling her eggs in order to preserve them for long-term storage.

I found myself frowning… was it really that easy to keep an egg fresh for months at a time? If so, why weren’t these well-oiled gems sitting on the grocery store shelves instead of crated up in the refrigerator section? I decided to do a little more research into this subject, so I turned to the one person I consider the quintessential expert on chickens and their products, Gail Damerow.

Full article at link..

ZDMZ
03-06-2012, 11:06 PM
I thought you were going to say "dip them in wax".

The shells are porous so just seal them up.

I don't know if that would really work or not but is seems that for storage....powdered eggs would do and for really long term... laying chickens!!!

It would be awful if the oil thing did not work and you dropped one of those time bombs.:9898:

mgriffith
03-07-2012, 01:58 AM
The old "traditional" method is to store eggs in "water glass", where they can keep for up to 2 years. I don't know if I would do this, but it bears looking into. I like the hint about breaking the eggs into a jar and not over your food. :001_sconfused:

Here's an article:

http://www.greatdreams.com/egg-storage.htm

CurtisG
03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
There a quite a few comments about eggs in the "Cheese Wax Controversy" thread.
Nice to know that we can buy eggs on sale and not take up scarce refrigerator space!
Funny how I keep "learning" things my Grandparents already knew.......