PDA

View Full Version : Canned peaches...left out over the winter...can they be eaten?

Wasatch Rebel
07-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Our daughter had to move in with us last fall and in the process, some boxes of their things were left outside in our carport. Included were several jars of home canned peaches. Of course, they probably were frozen at times during the winter, but apparently they remained sealed, and the peaches still look good. Any problem with eating them?

CurtisG
07-13-2014, 10:05 PM
As long as they remained sealed I cant imagine what could be wrong with them. Had they been left in the hot Texas sun, they might be a little "gamey", :tongue_smilie:
On a somewhat related note, I recently rediscovered the awesomeness of frozen grapes!

Earthling
07-14-2014, 10:08 PM
They should be safe to eat if the seal is intact. If anything the bottle would have broken from the liquid expanding when they froze. The quality is going to be mushy though . . . maybe make them into a chunky peach syrup for pancakes or French Toast or throw in a few raspberries & call it Peach Melba! - also yummy on ice cream. My raspberries are producing right now!

Wasatch Rebel
07-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Earthling. I appreciate the help.