PDA

View Full Version : Prepared Pantry...

Noahs ARK
03-31-2010, 04:59 PM
http://www.preparedpantry.com/pancake-mixes-waffle-mixes.aspx

This is one of the BEST websites I've found. I am thrilled with their products. I passed out the link to some of my Foodie friends and all of them have placed huge orders.

Breads, muffins, scones, cookies, syrups, etc...go check it out! The black russian bread and rye breads are to die for!

The shelf-life for anything with fruit and/or nuts is 9 months.

The shelf-life for anything without fruit and/or nuts is 2 years.

Frig or freezer will increase the shelf-life drastically.

I can't tell you how impressed I am with the packaging!!

Mrs Cowboy
04-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

signseeker
04-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Okay, settle down just a weensy bit. How 'bout we learn to make these mixes from scratch? :w00t:

Noahs ARK
04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Okay, settle down just a weensy bit. How 'bout we learn to make these mixes from scratch? :w00t:

:svengo:

signseeker
04-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I came into some groovy 60s and 70s cookbooks ... all healthy and stuff. I'm making "corncakes" this week!

Noahs ARK
04-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I came into some groovy 60s and 70s cookbooks ... all healthy and stuff. I'm making "corncakes" this week!

I probably have some of those 70's cookbooks. I'm old. :rofl:

I bought 2 Depression Era cookbooks a few years ago. The recipes all have a story that goes along with them. It was amazing what they lived on during the Depression.

mirkwood
04-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I bought 2 Depression Era cookbooks a few years ago. The recipes all have a story that goes along with them. It was amazing what they lived on during the Depression.

Tell us about those cookbooks. They sound interesting and useful.

Earthling
04-03-2010, 09:58 PM
I will bet they are the old Master Mix cookbooks - 2 vol. They were good. I made a lot of them.

I tried to find them on Amazon to give you a link but couldn't. I have seen them at the DI though.

Noahs ARK
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Tell us about those cookbooks. They sound interesting and useful.

I bought them in Door County, WI - at one of the gift shops.

Some of the stories are heartbreaking. The recipes are mostly "back to the basics" - some of the foods they canned, how they saved food thru the winter months, how they kept food cool during the summer w/o refrigeration, the creative cooking the women did to feed their family, the "sharing" between families that were lucky enough to have food.

One story....A woman asked a friend at church what she was cooking her family for dinner. The woman said "water soup with a bayleaf" - they were OUT of food and her husband didn't have a job. How sad is that? So she invited them over for a chicken dinner...they were lucky enough to have had chickens before the Depression, so they always had eggs and chickens to eat.

Another story....This family lived way out in the woods on 100 acres. Hunters would come and ask if they could hunt on their property. If they shot 10 ducks, the family got 2 ducks for the use of their property.

One more....A man came to the door looking for food. All they had was a little bit of flour left for their dinner, which was biscuits & gravy, but they shared with him. He ate, thanked her & left. When she was cleaning off the table, she found a 1-dollar bill under the plate. It was enough to buy 50-lbs of flour!

They're great books! I always feel ashamed after I've read one of the stories - we have so much compared to what these people had.

Earthling
04-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Those are different cookbooks than the ones I was referring to since mine did not have stories. They had a lot of mixes (either baking or meat) you could make up that would easily make into various meals.

Noahs ARK
04-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Those are different cookbooks than the ones I was referring to since mine did not have stories. They had a lot of mixes (either baking or meat) you could make up that would easily make into various meals.

I looked up the cookbooks you mentioned - those look good!

signseeker
04-04-2010, 02:04 AM
The one I was reading was called The Carlton Fredricks Cookbook for Good Nutrition.

I also have one of those make-a-mix cookbooks. It seemed a little 'confining' to me when I read it. I'll have to read it again...

Give us a recipe or two from that Depression cookbook, would ya' Arkie?

See, I'd love it if our future bad times included people who asked permission to hunt your property. Heck, people don't even do that now. We've run stupid lying punks off our property and they weren't hurting for anything, with their dad's big-a truck and their never-been-worn Cabela's outfits. I wonder what they'd be like under duress. Sheeminy.

Buffie
04-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Has everyone seen/read Clara's Depression Cooking? There's a neat book (I got it on Amazon) and she has videos on Youtube. She's about 94 now, and wasn't able to finish high school because the family couldn't afford socks and needed her to work so they could pay the taxes and not loose their home. When she cooks, she's not only concerned with the meal tasting good and being cheap, but also with using as little fuel as possible; many times she puts a lid on something, turns off the heat, and it cooks.

Izzybean
04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Noah's Ark, what are the names of the cookbooks?

Noahs ARK
04-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Noah's Ark, what are the names of the cookbooks?

Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930's, by Rita Van Amber.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Cp_27%3AJanet%20Van%20Amber%20P aske&field-author=Janet%20Van%20Amber%20Paske&page=1

Izzybean
04-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks! I looked at the other posts to see if you had already posted it and didn't see it. Thanks for the link too!