PDA

View Full Version : dairy creamer

faif2d
04-15-2010, 02:54 PM
I saw in one of the older threads that some dairy creamer added to powdered milk improved the taste. Does anyone have a clue on the shelf life of the creamer? I have some canned powdered milk but would need to add some of the creamer and could vacuum can that into jars if required.

Noahs ARK
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I saw in one of the older threads that some dairy creamer added to powdered milk improved the taste. Does anyone have a clue on the shelf life of the creamer? I have some canned powdered milk but would need to add some of the creamer and could vacuum can that into jars if required.

I just bought a large container of powdered coffee creamer. It says it's good until 10/11.

phylm
04-15-2010, 06:02 PM

I have had some for years that is still good. On the other hand, I've had some harden up on me. I don't see how it can "spoil" at any rate if it's still sealed, and I'd be glad to pound it back into powder before I'd throw it away.

They are right. It does improve both the texture and taste. I also add a couple of drops of vanilla to the quart for milk that we are going to drink. Must admit, though, that right now we'll buy fresh milk until the Schumer hits, or the economy tanks. (I'm lobbying for a Jersey cow and a couple of beef animals. Husband says we'd be tied down morning and night. I replied that we could get our butter made and canned, and a lot of cheese made and in wax, for a few weeks when the cow freshens, and then let her serve as a nurse cow for the beef. We'll see....)

Noahs ARK
04-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I have had some for years that is still good. On the other hand, I've had some harden up on me. I don't see how it can "spoil" at any rate if it's still sealed, and I'd be glad to pound it back into powder before I'd throw it away.

It won't spoil, but those plastic containers do absorb odors. For longterm storage, I'd put it in quart or pint jars.

Heck - I've hammered sugar that's hardened up in the bag. No way would I throw something like that out.

Ohhhhh - fresh butter & cheese! I'd be tempted, too.

signseeker
04-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I still have hammer marks on my counter from the corned beef can that wouldn't open... :frown2:

I'm going to try this creamer idea! Thanks!

faif2d
04-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will vacuum can some and put in my long term storage.

DMGNUT
04-18-2010, 10:35 AM
I mentioned that bit about coffee creamer here once before. I read it in the BeeHive at some point.
If you're ever down in the Phoenix area you might look into the Powdered Milk made by United Dairymen of Arizona (UDA), in Tempe, AZ. No need for creamer to be added to it.
They use a cold drying process (as opposed to the heat drying process used by most all others). It really preserves the flavor.
Originally this was developed by the Israelis as part of the process for their Kosher powdered milk.
I think the UDA Powdered Milk is sold under the Dairy America label, but can only be bought at their in-house "Milk and More" store. Other wise you have to be a big distributor and buy by the truck load.