PDA

View Full Version : Field Stripping MRE's

mirkwood
05-27-2010, 04:52 PM
If you are using MRE's and need to create more room/space in your pack, here is a good video on stripping them down. If you have room/space for them I would leave them intact. Personally I keep them intact, though I've been known to put a small puncture in the outer bag to bleed the air out for a little room. I like the full MRE if I'm going to use/carry them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbhfHskOw68&feature=player_embedded#!

Noahs ARK
05-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I've never even had an MRE. :cry:

Cowboy
05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Consider yourself lucky!

North_Star
05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
I like strawberry shakes. I took my wife on a winter picnic once-upon-a-time...... found a nice cold snowy park bench.... and broke out two MRE's with heaters.... she liked the meal but insisted we get back in the car and turn on the car heater.... which we did. I thought it was kind of romantic.

:)

signseeker
05-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Dude! I thought you were a girl this whole time! :blink:

ghostcat
05-27-2010, 07:43 PM
My question is, if you are trying to reduce weight and bulk, why would you keep the outer bag??:confused1: It would seem to me that the Duct tape would hold the items together just fine by itself.

ZDMZ
05-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I have never had an MRE either, but I have a few in the basement. I will have to get one out and try it.
How do they compare to Mountain House or Backpackers Pantry foods?
Seems that an MRE may be better because they have the accessories - crackers and jam, milkshake etc....where the Mountain House is one course.

LoudmouthMormon
05-28-2010, 02:28 PM
I've never bought/used a full package. We just buy entree's, and other stuff like crackers and dairyshakes and whatnot, when they're on sale. We supplement our bug-out and get-home bags with MRE items, but we also have 'real food' that we rotate at every general conference.

These are preps for short-duration events. It just wouldn't do to have the family all stranded in a snow drift for 3 days and have only MRE's to eat. Not when there can be chewy granola bars and canned pears and other things they're used to eating.

LM

4evermama
05-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Y'all had to go and open up THIS can of worms.

My teens love MRE's. They camp with scouts a lot and beg for the Tortellini or Jambalaya; Cobbler for dessert, of course.
They've helped me out at WAY too many preparedness firesides and have tried just about every one on the market.

They also like the calorie bars and look for psuedo emergencies to open them up out of our car kit. "Mom, I think I saw lightening...maybe we should pull over just to be safe." Over the years, we've tested most of the flavors...yep, settled on lemon.

It's been said before..."what in the heck are you teaching your kids?"
Well, at least they won't give me attitude if anything really hits.

Throwing prep foods in the middle of the floor and watching 4 kids fight to the death makes for a cheap date night.:boxing_smiley:
Roughly $2.85 plus the shipping.

And I always pack them without the boxes. We use the water pouches too.

Mountain House products taste fine and are easy to hydrate. Great stocking stuffers, actually. I keep a stash of those for our light weight bug-out box.
But MRE's stay in the 72 hour packs...don't want to have to carry the extra water weight and fuel.

mirkwood
05-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Throwing prep foods in the middle of the floor and watching 4 kids fight to the death makes for a cheap date night.:boxing_smiley:
Roughly $2.85 plus the shipping.

:smilielol5:

Buffie
05-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Can we all take up a collection and send North Star to a "How to be Really Romantic" workshop? He sounds too much like my own Hubby, whose idea of courting was going to his favorite service station and piddling with cars while I graded essays. Ah, the good old days. Did I mention that he once gave me a genuine Confederate cannonball for my birthday? En garde, ye Yankees!

Noahs ARK
05-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Can we all take up a collection and send North Star to a "How to be Really Romantic" workshop? He sounds too much like my own Hubby, whose idea of courting was going to his favorite service station and piddling with cars while I graded essays. Ah, the good old days. Did I mention that he once gave me a genuine Confederate cannonball for my birthday? En garde, ye Yankees!

The reverse is true in our marriage. My hubby's the romantic one and I'm the practical one.

"What do you want for your birthday, honey?" he says.

"A cordless drill, please" :l0 (30):

4evermama
05-30-2010, 10:41 AM
You are not alone, Noah, I asked for a volcano stove for my B-day.

Equanimity
05-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I've always been to scared to eat the MRE's we have, LOL!!!

North_Star
05-30-2010, 08:21 PM

LOL! I'm always open to helpful suggestions! :)

sarge712
05-31-2010, 10:59 PM
MRE's could be much worse. For what they were intended to do, they do very well. When you have a five day mission and room for only 2 MRE's they even end up tasting great! I was licking the packages clean.

LoudmouthMormon
06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
"Mom, I think I saw lightening...maybe we should pull over just to be safe."That's funny. My wife keeps accusing me of screaming "earthquake" and going face down in a big vat of emergency pudding every time the wind blows a door closed.

LM
(We don't have emergency pudding)

thermocouple
06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I will take a Mountain House backpacking meal over an MRE any day. If you can pick and choose your MRE, the vegetarian meals are better. The veggie pasta dishes are pretty good, and they make up for the calorie deficiency (compared to the meat dishes) by providing higher calorie sides. Sarge is right though, get hungry enough and you will lick the package clean.

mirkwood
06-01-2010, 11:35 AM
I carry both MH and MRE's and calorie bars in my kit. I like the variety.

Cowboy
06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
You can eat anything if you are hungry enough.

I have MRE's, mountain house, and bars. But when I am backpacking I go for the bars and the mountain house. No need to suffer with the taste or the weight. Dehydrated water is a must. Very easy to carry.

signseeker
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM

...or anyone. :reddevil:

My hubby has quit asking what I want for my b-day. I guess he thinks we're on the same page when it comes to not wanting to spend money. On anything. Ever. :nonod:

hiccups
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM

...or anyone. :reddevil:

Or any well-tenderized horse. :beatdeadhorse5:(I just got a new annual supply of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, so I'm set. :D )

KF7EEC
06-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Dehydrated water is a must. Very easy to carry.

I got a year supply, at least, of that!:l0 (59):

signseeker
06-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Sweet baby Ray's?? :blink: I just had some entertaining flashbacks from the bountiful days. Heh.