PDA

View Full Version : "Grab & Go" Bucket of food..

Noahs ARK
07-10-2010, 10:30 PM
http://deseretbook.com/item/5051851/84_Serving_Breakfast_and_Entree_Grab_and_Go_Food_K it

These look kind of cool. Different meals in a "grab & go" bucket.

Anyone here ever try these?

mirkwood
07-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Interesting. No information on shelf life. I'd also like to know who manufactured the product. Looks like it is ARK. ARK was sold for less at Sam's Club if it is the same. I think you could build MH meals for less.

LEVE
07-11-2010, 07:44 AM
IMHO, if you've got your 72hr pack ready to go... this ain't a concern. Easier, yes, but I'll not buy it.

ZDMZ
07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I have one of those!!!
I think I got it at Costco but can't remember for sure.
I've been tempted to open it up and try the stuff out.

I don't think it would be the first thing I grab in an emergency but it may come in handy for something.

DMGNUT
07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
I like a lot of what is said on their site, but $170 seems a bit pricey to me.
If you zoom in and look closely at the bucket, it looks like it says 25 year shelf life. Although I can't find it anywhere else, I'm guessing that means this stuff is freeze dried (which is very good, in my book). Some good ideas on their part, but I think calling it a "grab and go" bucket is misleading. I think of "grab and go" to mean 72 hr kit, which this certainly is not. No water to rehydrate any of the food and none of the other necessary/essential items that would be needed if you were to literally "grab and go". :cool (2):
Still, it looks like they offer a quality product.

LoudmouthMormon
07-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I wonder if these kits have been field stripped first.field stripped (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbhfHskOw68).

Noahs ARK
07-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Interesting. No information on shelf life. I'd also like to know who manufactured the product. Looks like it is ARK. ARK was sold for less at Sam's Club if it is the same. I think you could build MH meals for less.

Shelf-Life
Up to 15 - 25 years, depending on the bucket you get.
Oxygen Packets in Pouches ensure better shelf-life

Our Sam's Club is 70 miles away. :20:

Noahs ARK
07-11-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't think it would be the first thing I grab in an emergency but it may come in handy for something.

I probably wouldn't use it in an emergency, either. I liked the variety in the different buckets and think it might be better than opening a #10 if you just want a single serving.

http://deseretbook.com/store/browse/1334 Other buckets

phylm
07-11-2010, 05:14 PM
One prep activity in the last branch I attended was assembling a "72-hour food kit in a #10 can." It wasn't elaborate, but would do the trick. As I recall there were 3 cereal packets, 3 dry soup packets, 3 chocolate milk packets, 3 small cans of canned meats, a pack of crackers, some hard candy...been so long, I can't remember all that was in it, but the can held much more than you would think. Of course, you'd have to plan for your water, first aid kit, clothing, etc.

Noahs ARK
07-11-2010, 05:25 PM
One prep activity in the last branch I attended was assembling a "72-hour food kit in a #10 can." It wasn't elaborate, but would do the trick. As I recall there were 3 cereal packets, 3 dry soup packets, 3 chocolate milk packets, 3 small cans of canned meats, a pack of crackers, some hard candy...been so long, I can't remember all that was in it, but the can held much more than you would think. Of course, you'd have to plan for your water, first aid kit, clothing, etc.

I have all my water, first aid kit, blankets, etc... in a plastic crate in the back of my Pathfinder. Easy to pick up and transfer quickly to another vehicle if we had to.

I really like the idea of the bucket having a handle - easy to carry. I could pack it with the stuff you mention in your post for us and pack another one for the animals.