PDA

View Full Version : May Not Mean Anything ... But, then again

JuneGem
03-05-2011, 08:17 AM
For weeks (months) all the stores around here (Arkansas) have had sales on canned veggies. This is the first time in quite a while that not a single store is advertising a sale on canned veggies (with the exception of canned tomatoes). Really not sure if that is an indication of anything, but it is odd. Anybody else notice that in their area?

signseeker
03-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Before making any definite assessment, I'll have to know the sale prices...

JuneGem
03-05-2011, 02:35 PM
$.49 or $.50 can sale price ($.69+ regular price depending on the veggie) at the various stores, until this past week. It just struck me as odd that not a single store was running a canned veggie sale this week (with, as I said, the exception of canned tomatoes).

signseeker
03-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Interesting.

I don't think it means anything. :)

Noahs ARK
03-05-2011, 04:04 PM
I went to Food Lion today - they had all kinds of sales, but none on canned veggies or canned fruit.

Luckily they had my cocoa powder on sale, so I stocked up on that.

There wasn't any sugar on the shelf - all sold out due to the sale, I'm assuming.

JuneGem
03-05-2011, 06:24 PM
That's kind of what I was referring to. It was just odd that no stores in the area had sales on canned veggies or fruit this week. Just have to wait and see this next week or so.

Paper goods and cleaning items seem to be the big sales this past week. And, darn, I forgot to pick up cocoa powder!

Noahs ARK
03-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Our paper goods & cleaning products were on sale, too.

Usually our pudding & jello are on sale, but it wasn't this week. Oh - soda was on sale BIG TIME, tho. I don't drink it cuz I'm a water hound, but I stocked up on hubby's cream soda.

LOTS of baking stuff on sale - cake & brownie mixes, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, sugar, flour.

OMGosh - the price of nuts is off the charts!!

Looking Forward
03-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Our store here is having a case lot sale, will be going on for 2 weeks. :thumbup1:

Earthling
03-05-2011, 09:13 PM
A lot of grocery items have certain times they are on sale. i.e. March is frozen food month and there will be a lot of that on sale. Notice how baking stuff is on sale in Nov & Dec. I have a list from the extension service telling you what stuff is cheaper each month (food & other stuff). Anyway, I don't think it means anything. Just stock up on what is on sale that week.

4evermama
03-06-2011, 02:48 AM
Copy of list???????? Pleeeeeease........:a0 (9):

Earthling
03-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Found it! Guess it was from Family Circle magazine although I have a extension service one too but it isn't as good as this one.

JANUARY → Low-fat or low-carb items, including frozen meals, granola bars, diet soda. ■ Super Bowl favorites, such as frozen appetizers, chips, dips, sodas and beer. ■ Boxed teas and soup.

FEBRUARY → Canned foods, including soups, fruits and vegetables. ■ Medicines , cold remedies and vitamins.

MARCH → Peanut butter and other peanut products. ■ Frozen meals, vegetables and fruits.

APRIL → Soy products, like milk, burgers, tofu and bars. ■ Hams, thanks to Easter.

MAY → Memorial Day staples, such as barbecue foods (soda, chips, condiments, buns, grilling spices and salad dressings), as well as paper goods, like plates, napkins and cups. ■ Post-Mother’s Day: kitchen appliances, like toasters, microwaves, food processors and mixers.

JUNE → Cheese, milk, cream, yogurt and other dairy products. ■ Ice cream, including bars, sandwiches and cones.

JULY → Hot dogs, frozen hamburger patties and ground meat for the Fourth of July, as well as condiments and other barbecue staples. ■ School supplies.

AUGUST → Back-to-school lunch items, like juice boxes, granola bars, canned fruit and other snacks. ■Sunscreen and lotions. ■ Tissues.

SEPTEMBER → Breakfast foods, including hot and cold cereals, oatmeal, frozen breakfast pastries, frozen breakfast sandwiches and pancake mix. ■Labor Day staples like barbecue and party foods.

OCTOBER → Wine. ■Pasta and frozen pizza. ■ Pet food, grooming supplies and toys.

NOVEMBER → Thanksgiving foods: turkey, stuffing mix, soups, cranberries, canned veggies and yams. ■Baking goods, including flour, baking soda, sugar, cake mixes, frosting, pie crusts and frozen pies.

DECEMBER → Champagne. ■ Disposable containers, foil, wax paper and plastic wrap.

Credit - "by Teri Gault, Family Circle magazine August 2010"

signseeker
03-06-2011, 03:21 PM
:svengo:

Earthling
03-06-2011, 09:08 PM
:svengo:

What's that supposed to mean? Here I post a useful list that was requested and I get an "oh please" response? Now be good and play nice in the sandbox with Earthling. :l0 (25):

signseeker
03-06-2011, 09:32 PM
That does not mean Oh, Please. It means Holy $&*%, I feel overwhelmed. I always play nice. :yesnod:

Earthling
03-07-2011, 01:05 AM
That does not mean Oh, Please. It means Holy $&*%, I feel overwhelmed. I always play nice. :yesnod:

Here I was thinking it meant "Oh Please". Glad to know. I still don't get your reaction? Yes, you do play nice - you're just sweet. :a0 (26):

signseeker
03-07-2011, 09:02 AM
When a plan is all laid out for me FOR A YEAR ... that's just more than I can take. :)

Cowboy
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I think it means that the fall harvest has been sold and the stores are waiting for the spring harvest coming from South America. Everything has a cycle.

Earthling
03-07-2011, 10:45 PM
When a plan is all laid out for me FOR A YEAR ... that's just more than I can take. :)

Sign - I think you misunderstood. I said " items have certain times they are on sale". It is a list of when items are usually discounted in the stores so you can take advantage of that timing. It IS NOT a list telling you when you have to buy stuff. . . just telling you when you can get good deals on particular things if you want to save money. :001_scool:

signseeker
03-08-2011, 08:51 AM
So I'm free to buy them any month I want to and spend twice as much? Golly, that makes me feel so much better. :svengo:

KF7EEC
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
So I'm free to buy them any month I want to and spend twice as much? Golly, that makes me feel so much better. :svengo:

you are also free to not by them at all.

Noahs ARK
03-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Just break it down by month and use that for your Monthly Prep Goal. :sneaky2:

signseeker
03-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I make my own plans and goals, got it? :sneaky2:

:l0 (19):

Noahs ARK
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I make my own plans and goals, got it? :sneaky2:

:l0 (19):

Got it. Oh - that reminds me, March is here now....gotta go read your prep goal. :a0 (20):

Earthling
03-09-2011, 01:04 AM

See, now you have the knowledge that if you don't buy at the right time that you are getting ripped off . . . isn't that great! Now you can't enjoy that purchase knowing you would have had a deal if you just would have waited . . . :l0 (6):